Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Guest Blog #1 - Ashish Patel

To prove I was telling the truth in my last post, I haven't posted in more than a week. I'm not sure if anyone is checking. Anyway, over the last few weeks, not only have both our mothers, Sejal's dad and my sister visited, but currently both of Sejal's brother's, Ashish and Amol are here. Since they were chillin with Saajan alot during the day, I suggested Ashish write a guest blog entry. He took me up on my offer and here is his post. Check out the awesome video at the end.

(side note- lot of indian people find it funny that Sej's brother and I are both named Ashish. I thought it was kinda unusual at first too but then I thought about most American familes. I bet you can't find many large American families that dont have multiple Tom's, Bob's or Dave's. About 40% of the people I work with are named Tom, Bob or Dave.)

About the Author- Ashish Patel. 26 year old MBA student at The University of Texas at Austin. He's single and is seriously in need of a girlfriend.



Visiting Saajan

On July 11th, I flew into BWI airport excited about seeing Saajan for the first time. AC and my younger brother, Amol, came to pick me up in their new Honda Accord around midnight. They were late as usual and tried to make excuses even though I wasn't upset at all. All I could think about was seeing my nephew. The ride home was a memorable one because their XM radio was malfunctioning and AC had to call technical support for the second time that day. If you haven't seen AC or Sejal interact with customer service due to a problem before, you should because it's hilarious/embarrassing – kind of like going shopping with Indian parents. Anyways, I got to the house around 1am and saw Saajan for the first time. He did what he does best soon after I arrived – took a poop. I didn't hold Saajan that night because he was really cranky due to a bad diaper rash that he has. The next day, Saajan was in a better mood so I got to play with him for a little bit. Unfortunately, playing with him is either feeding him, burping him, changing him, giving him a bath and/or putting him to sleep. Sometimes you take the risk of getting peed on too. I think he's gotten everyone in the house so far.

I learned a lot about babies in the past few days. Some of it fairly obvious but still something I never really thought about before. The biggest thing that I learned was that babies really are a challenge. Once you have a baby, your life is different. You can no longer make plans, your schedule is now dictated by the baby. Taking a five minute trip to the store can take up to two hours because you have to feed him, burp him and change him before leaving. Sometimes you have to change him twice because if you're like Saajan you only like to poop in fresh diapers! I also learned that babies are also very easy to manage if you know what they want. When Saajan cries it's because he's not happy. Sometimes it could be that he's hungry, he needs a change, he has gas, he's sleepy or wants attention. Once you give them what they want, they instantly stop crying. The most challenging part is figuring it out quickly.

The second night I was here I got to work night duty. This means staying up and taking care of Saajan until he's ready to go to sleep. He went to sleep at 3:45am that night. Overall, I must say that he's an excellent kid. He doesn't cause too much trouble or give us too much of a hard of a time for the most part. He pretty much goes to anyone who's willing to do what he wants - milk digger (like a gold digger, except not really). Yesterday, we took him to the Library of Congress. I must say the museum had some really interesting and fascinating things to look at but the best part of the trip was taking Saajan with us. I got to carry him from the car to the museum and the whole time I would get random "ooooohs" and "awwwwws" from people on the street. Not only is Saajan a chick magnet, he's a people magnet!

Alright, I gotta go. Saajan is awake right now. I better go play with him before he goes back to sleep. Babies sleep a lot if you didn't know.


1 Comments:

Blogger AP said...

I know he only has two emotions right now (crying and not), but the look on Sajaan's face during that vid is priceless.

July 17, 2008 at 6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home